The City of San Antonio in south-central Texas is a city we love. Its rich colonial history coupled with being the seventh largest U.S. city by population have contributed to its vibrant culture. Curious everything this city has to offer? Direct Auto & Life Insurance met up with long-time Texan, Oyin Edogi, to show you around town! Check out the video below for a tour and then scroll down to read about the spots we visited.
1.The Alamo: Remember the Alamo? In the video, you’ll catch a glimpse of this 18th-century historic Spanish mission which marks the infamous 1836 battle for Texan independence from Mexico. Learn more about the Alamo’s history by visiting the church and grounds (free) and adding a guided or audio tour ($15 and under).
2. San Antonio Riverwalk: Often touted as the “crown jewel” of San Antonio, a “world-renowned urban parkway,” and the “American Venice,” the 15-mile Riverwalk along the San Antonio River is arguably the city’s most popular attraction. What is there to do? Sightsee, shop, eat, bike, see art, listen to music, be entertained, and so much more. There’s no entrance fee and it’s family friendly too!
3. Parade of Lanterns: The Parade of Lanterns is a two-week event (February 9-23, 2019; 7-9pm) following San Antonio’s annual Confucius Wishing Lantern Festival. Every night, about a dozen river floats gently carry enormous, illuminated lanterns on the river. Enjoy this magical sight by eating dinner at one of the many outdoor seating restaurants along the River Walk.
4. Torch of Friendship: The Torch of Friendship is a 65-foot orange abstract sculpture located in the middle of a traffic circle near the Riverwalk. It was a gift to the City of San Antonio from Mexico to represent the merging of two cultures into one. You can’t miss this brightly colored monument!
5. Historic Market Square: Since the 1820s, Market Square has been a place for people to meet, shop, eat, and dance. Today, it’s the largest Mexican market in the United States! Explore Mexican cuisine, pottery, art, music, clothing, and more across three blocks of 100 locally owned shops and stalls.
6. Mi Tierra Café: For authentic Mexican food, Tex-Mex (a cuisine with roots in Texas’ “Tejano” culture), margaritas, and mariachis, grab a table at Mi Tierra Café located downtown near Market Square. May we suggest the fajita tacos, cheese enchiladas, or bean and cheese nachos? Muy delicioso!
7. Tower of the Americas Observation Deck: The Tower of the Americas was built for the 1968 World’s Fair and is the United States’ second tallest observation tower, behind Las Vegas’ Stratosphere Tower. With a restaurant at the top, it is the best place to take in the view of the city.
8. San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo: Yee-haw! Put on your western boots and cowboy hat and head on over to the Stock Show & Rodeo to experience one of the largest events in San Antonio! Watch bronc riding, listen to live country music, eat turkey on a stick and funnel cakes, and shop for leather goods, jewelry, agricultural-related items, and more!
Want more? Here are a few additional sights to check out that didn’t make an appearance in the video.
9. Main Plaza Cathedral Light Show: At the Main Plaza at night, in the River Walk area, lights project onto the front of the San Fernando Cathedral to tell the story of San Antonio from the beginning to today. Built between 1738 and 1750, the Cathedral is the oldest active sanctuary in the U.S.
10. The World’s Largest Cowboy Boots: Did you know the World’s Largest Cowboy Boots stand at 35 ft tall? They were originally located in Washington, DC, as an homage to the Lone Star State. Eventually, the boots were moved to San Antonio, where they have become an Instagram-must for visitors.
11. Virgin Mary Candle: Standing 5ft. taller than the cowboy boots is the World’s Largest Virgin Mary Candle. It may not contain any wax, but it does have an eternal flame on top. This is another great location to capture a picture for Instagram!
You know what else is in San Antonio, Texas? Direct Auto & Life Insurance! Find a location near you for a quick, free car insurance quote.