Hot dogs. They’re the holy grail of summertime food. From camping to cookouts, baseball games to block parties, summer just wouldn’t be the same without the ever-present hot dog. Not only is the whole month of July dedicated to celebrating and eating them, but tuning in for Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest every Fourth of July has become a sort of national past time.
If you want to take your hot dog game to the next level this summer, these oven-baked chili cheese dogs are a delicious alternative to the traditional grilled or fire-roasted weenies. Watch the video below to see how it’s done!
How to Make: Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 cups prepared chili
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, chopped
- mustard and ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with tin-foil (for easy clean-up). Place hot dog buns inside.
- Squeeze desired amounts of mustard, ketchup and relish into the inside bottom of each bun. Then put a hot dog inside each bun, over the sauces.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of chili onto each hot dog, and then sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and onion.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes and then carefully remove foil. Use a spatula to help remove hot dogs from pan.
Adapted from: Life in the Lofthouse
Looking for a lighter summertime dish to bring to your next family picnic or potluck? Try our easy 5-Minute Chicken Salad!
*Material in these articles is for general information or entertainment purposes only. Direct General does not endorse and is not affiliated with any of the other companies or apps listed in this article. Direct General is not responsible or liable for the availability of links to websites or resources, or for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available through these websites or resources. Any references to third party rates or products are subject to change without notice. Trademarks are property of their respective owners.