During the Halloween season, no one and nothing is safe, not even your car! While dressing up in a costume might disguise you from the living dead, protecting your car from the ghouls and goblins on Halloween might be a little “trickier” than you think. JJ Hightail’s fear of clowns doesn’t compare to the scary truth about what really happens to cars on Halloween. Pranksters and vandals might come out of the woodwork to stir up trouble, so one can never be too careful.
According to Consumer Reports, each year cars are vandalized with smashed pumpkins, Silly String, or eggs, all of which can do some real damage to the finish on your car, and as a result, lower the resale value.
Before your Halloween festivities begin this year, follow our guidelines to trick pranksters:
- Park smart: Park in a well-lit area, away from dumpsters, large vehicles, or shrubbery which could act as hiding places for vandals. If you can, park in a secure parking garage gated lot.
- Hide your valuables: Whether it’s your GPS, cell phone, stereo or chargers, remove anything that could be tempting for vandals or thieves.
- Extra precaution never hurt anyone: Installing a visible alarm system or surveillance cameras could help ward of temptation.
- Waxing works: Add a little extra layer of protective wax to your car before Halloween to give it another shield of protection.
If you’ve been pranked:
- Rinse off any residue as soon as you discover the damage, and when you get the chance give it a good bath!
- If you don’t have time to do a full car wash, use a bottle of water mixed with car-washing soap and spot clean with the spray wherever you are.
- If all else fails, try a cleaner wax to help buff out the rough spots and improve its shine.
While protecting your car is an important consideration on Halloween, so are your little ones and pets. Watch Direct Auto & Life’s Halloween Safety Tips before your little ones step out into the night in their finest disguise!
Halloween Safety Tips Video:
Want to protect your car from unexpected damage? Our Comprehensive Coverage can help! Give us a call at 1-877-GO-DIRECT (1-877-463-4732) or visit www.directgeneral.com if you’ve got car insurance problems haunting you! We can help you save more on car insurance, regardless of your driving history! Stay safe out there!
For more information tips for Halloween, check out Direct’s Halloween blog posts below!