Take the pain out of putting together family dinners with these easy and extremely budget-friendly dinners for as little as $20. Each is sized for a family of four.
(Recipes adapted from SheKnows.com)
Broccoli and Rice Casserole
2 cups chopped broccoli
¾ cup chicken stock/broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cups of cooked rice
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place broccoli in microwavable bowl with a few tablespoons of water. Microwave for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Put broccoli, chicken stock, olive oil, and lemon juice into blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Put rice and cheese in an ovenproof dish. Pour broccoli mixture over the rice and cheese. Mix gently to blend ingredients.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Cheese should be melted.
Baked Spinach and Tomato Pasta
2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
2 tablespoons of olive oil (divided)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 cups baby spinach
3 cups diced tomato (divided)
1 tablespoon dried oregano (any herb with work)
Pinch of salt
¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse penne under cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir.
- Add spinach and 2 cups of tomato. Cook mixture for 4 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- In medium bowl, combine 1 cup of tomato, herbs, and salt. Transfer cooked tomato mixture to bowl and stir well. Add pasta to tomato mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in ½ cup of cheese.
- Grease bottom of baking dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Pour tomato pasta mixture into dish.
- Bake mixture uncovered for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese. Put mixture back in oven and cook just until cheese melts – about 4 minutes.
One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 onion, diced
8 ounces ground beef
4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can white kidney beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
2 teaspoons chili powder
10 ounces uncooked elbow pasta
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and ground beef, and cook until browned (about 3-5 minutes). Drain excess fat.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and stir in pasta.
- Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked (about 13-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat, top with cheese, and cover until cheese is melted (about 2 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!
(Recipe adapted from DamnDelicious.com)