These past few months have been rough on your car! Parts of the country have seen surprising amounts of snow, ice, and rain, and temperatures so cold you can’t bear to wrench yourself from your warm car or home! Jumpstart your spring cleaning and start with your car. Who knows what you may have tracked in from the weather! Here are six shortcuts for a fresher, more organized car.
- Mess-Free Trash Can: Convert a plastic cereal container (like the ones listed here at Wal-Mart®) into a spill-free trashcan for your car. Line the container with a grocery bag so you don’t have to continually wash the container.
- Odor Be Gone: Get rid of funky smells by leaving an open bag of charcoal in your car overnight. According to Yumi Sakugawa of WonderHowto.com, charcoal is great for absorbing odors (and afterwards you can use it at an outdoor barbeque)!
- Makes Scents: Once you rid your car of any funky smells, fill it with your favorite. Place a scented candle or wax melt inside of a container, like a small glass jar or plastic cup, in your cup holder. On a warm day, the candle will begin to melt and release the fragrance! Thanks for the idea Odometer.com!
- Smile Bright: Make your car’s “smile” sparkle by polishing the headlights with a little regular white toothpaste and a soft dry cloth. In their DIY Garage, Advance Auto Parts suggests that you avoid mint paste or paste that includes whitening crystals, as this could damage your headlights. Test the paste on a small part of the light before you polish the entire headlight. Your car will smile from mirror to mirror! Refer to your owner’s manual before performing this task though.
- Anchored and Organized: To keep your groceries or other bags from moving around your trunk, put your trunk items in one or two plastic laundry baskets. Your trunk will stay cleaner and more organized, and when it’s time to clean out the car all you have to do is grab the basket!
- Easy Kid Compartments: Keep the kids’ toys, games, and snacks from ending up in every nook and cranny of the car by hanging a shower organizer or fabric shoe holder over the back of your two front seats.
Make everyday life a little cleaner and more organized with these cheap and easy car hacks. Do you have any to add to the list? Have you tried any of the above? Let us know in the comments below!
What a pleasant surprise! This dude really loves his car. Watch these lights flutter, this horn blast, and the birth of a one-of-a-kind love story in our #LoveYourCar series.